Is the sea level rising?

Some people think that the sea level is not rising because they don't see it but there are many studies and scientific evidence that the sea level is rising. Scientific evidence (https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level/) shows that the global sea level has risen 5-8 inches since 1900. That probably does not seem like a lot, so why are people so worried about it? Well, this year the global sea level has risen by around 3.2 millimeters. That means that 470 and 760 million coastal residents will be flooded! The government pays for around 60% of the damage from hurricanes but the people pay the other 40%. Hurricane Michael cost 16 billion dollars. that costs 6,400,000,000 dollars to normal people.

Hurricane Map

The sea level rising, so what?

 

The data only shows the sea level is rising by only a couple millimeters a year and that does not seem like a lot. Sp why are people so worried about it? Well, this year the global sea level has risen by around 3.2 millimeters and that means that 470 and 760 million coastal residents will be flooded!

And as the sea level rises the thermal temperature warms the water because warm water expands more it causes the ice caps to melt faster. This means that hurricanes are more deadly and they go farther inland then they did. There is 300-900 percent chance that flooding of U.S. coastal communities which cost a lot of money to fix. The warmer water also causes many ocean animals to become extinct or very endangered.

How can you help?

We need to work on reducing greenhouse gas emissions because that is triggering the ice caps to melt. A good way to do that is to use less electricity to turn off lights when leaving rooms and keep the temperature of your house at a reasonable temperature, also don't cut down trees unless you have to and if you must replant them because they are natural cleaners of greenhouse gasses, recycle, reuse and stop burning coal. If we all work together we can change the tide! 

sea-level-rise-chart-2019.jpg.838x0_q80.